Talk with an Expert: 317-663-7602

What is Indiana Medicare Supplement?

Medicare coverage is often met with open arms by senior citizens, as they automatically become eligible for this federal sponsored health care program. Although Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) has a lot to offer, unfortunately the amount of protection it provides may not actually guarantee sound sleep at night. It doesn't pay every supply and health care service you need. That's why it makes sense to fill in the gaps of Original Medicare with an Indiana Medicare supplement plan, otherwise known as Medigap policy.

Medigap policy is bought through private insurance companies, but regulated by Medicare. Basically, these policies helps pay or shoulder in part the costs that Medicare doesn't cover like yearly deductible, co-insurance and copayment. On some Medigap policies, it even provides coverage for services that aren't covered by Original Medicare at all.

How do Medigap Policies work with Original Medicare?

In order to be allowed to sign up with an Indiana Medicare supplement policy, you need to be enrolled in Original Medicare. Basically, your Medicare pays first and the remaining amount will be shouldered by your Medigap plan. Take a look at this example. Let's say that you have a $4,000 ambulance bill and you haven't paid any of the annual Part B deductible amount ($140 for 2012 and may vary in the coming years). Your Part B Medicare will shoulder 80% of your ambulance bill (equivalent to $3,200) without including the deductible amount. The remaining 20% (equivalent to $800) plus the Part B deductible amount of $140 will be shouldered by your Medigap policy.

Although Medigap benefits literally expand your Original Medicare coverage, there are benefits (supplies and health services) that are not included on Medigap policies. Commonly, these are:

  • The services of a private duty nurse
  • Eyeglasses
  • Hearing aids
  • Dental and vision care
  • Long term care or nursing home care

You need to keep in mind that Medigap policies may differ from state to state and it also only covers a single person. This means that both you and your spouse should sign a separate Medigap policy.

Medicare is a major issue in politics, with changes happening to suit the times and it's not unusual that these changes spark confusion. As an insurance agency, we take upon ourselves the responsibility to explain these changes in a clear way, as well as what it means to you.

To begin shopping for appropriate Medicare coverage, obtain a free quote via our quote engine at www.HealthInsuranceMark.com.